Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Week Three at IcFEM

As home becomes more and more a distant memory, and I begin to recognize more faces and begin to share experiences and make friendships, or at least acquaintances, this experience becomes more exciting and real! There are times when you can still slip back into your own world, as though you are back at home. For example today when I was in the guesthouse for a few hours, sorting out pictures and watching some TV, you can easily slip into home mode, and then I went out to collect my washing, and it hit me that I was in Africa, as I could hear some Swahili from over the wall, and just the environment.

This was the week when my real purpose here began, as I am constantly reminded when I am introduced as the cricket guy. Its good when you start getting into the work, and meeting the same people on a regular basis, you get to know them and can have a bit of a chat and a joke. It was like that with the house construction, although that only took 3 days, and so this was longer and more of an opportunity to meet new people. This was highlighted today, when I was walking through town, instead of being asked “how are you?” it was “How are you Adams?” from a few people. You also see some of the kids from the week, and more and more faces are recognizable everywhere. As was also the case today when I went into town to watch football and ended up sitting with a few people I had met previously. They also have so much passion for English football over here, some were really upset that Arsenal had lost, and went storming out.

So my work began this week in the holiday club, which is an IcFEM club for the kids aged 6- 18, just for one week. My slot was in the afternoon from 2 until around 4. But these times changed everyday, depending on when the kids turned up, as the cricket was based at a separate site, Kamusinga Primary, from the club, which was at the IcFEM offices, with a good 10 minute walk between. So most days we wouldn’t start until around 2:30. Which meant we had some time before to have a game with some of the locals who came across, curiously at first, each day to greet us. Some even stayed on to take part in the main event.

The first day was chaotic, with only me and Mathew to look after around 50- 60 kids. It might have been easier if we were just trying to play football or something, but it was difficult trying to teach a new sport.

We had a plan which meant we would speak to the kids for about 5 minutes so that they had a bit of an idea of what cricket was all about. This went down the pan and so we just gave a very brief 5 second demo and let them get on with a game, hoping that they would pick it up as they went along. Luckily they did pick up the basics quickly and were able to have a good game.

After the first day we managed a little more control, when a couple of teachers accompanied the children up to the field. As the week went along the kids picked up more and more and were governing themselves, to a certain extent, towards the end. It was good to see the kids’ competitiveness coming through and even having good arguments about certain things, but in Swahili of course! We even had bits of cheating, with some trying to bat again after they were out, trying to pee-roll the ball when bowling, as well as adding a few extra runs onto the total!

Later in the week we added a few extra warm up activities, which the kids seemed to enjoy, and once again their competitiveness shone through!!

At the end of the week, Thursday, we handed out some certificates and a tennis ball to the best player of each day. I think the kids enjoyed this and eventually some seemed disappointed that they hadn’t got anything.

Friday was the day of the trip to Kitale Nature Conservancy. After everyone managed to squash onto the bus (I think there was about 10 of us on the back seat!) and we got there it was a good day. There were lots of weird animals including a cow with 3 eyes, goats with 5 legs, goats and dogs with 3 legs and a bow legged goat etc.

It was also the first day of a wet weekend, so I had a good sit down in the restaurant and watched a bit of neighbours, before going back to the coach for some bread and soda.

On Saturday we went to Webuye for a swim but scrapped those plans on arrival, as it was overcast, and the pool did not look too appealing, so we ate and played some pool instead. Before going to the cash machine, but getting caught under a heavy shower, so we were stood under some shelter for about half an hour.

Its been quite nice that it has been raining this weekend, its been a nice break from none stop sun and its felt a little more like home, or defiantly what we expect back in the UK.

Other events this week have included President Kibaki’s visit to Kimilili in search of votes. Iv also had to get rid of my hair, because of the heat and because it was really annoying, so now iv got a nice shaven head. Iv also began to become obsessed with “Prison Break” after seeing one episode during the week. Mathew has the full series on DVD, so Iv been watching a lot of that. As well as the rain we are beginning to be plagued with a lot of power cuts. These are really frustrating, especially the ones that last for just a second, but its enough for you to loose your work on the computer and then have to start up the dvd again, and loose my place on the next episode of “Prison Break”. So the blog this week has taken a long time to complete, and I have also seen little bits of “Prison Break” about 4 times! Aside from these little power cuts, we had a long one last night, and my torch ran out of batteries, so I was sat in the lounge in the pitch black!! Luckily I found 1 match left in the box and so when finally managed to find my room, I could at least see my way to bed! There was also a decent thunderstorm last night! So some good entertainment without the TV, or light to read my book, which I am getting into quite a lot also, so I recommend the “Afghan”, and I thank David for leaving it behind!

Right, Thank you, and ill keep you updated!

Inabit

No comments: